Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Pretty and Prosperous Profile: Beth Collins

What do you do?
I am the co-creator of Elizabeth’s House in Toledo, OH.  Elizabeth’s House is where amazing women gather to reinvent their lives and find the strength and courage they need to make life-changing decisions.   

Did you have a plan?
Nope, initially I just had a dream. I embraced the dream of creating a space where women could get support for moving their lives forward without necessarily needing to be in a crisis to do so.  Because places like Elizabeth’s House don’t exist I didn’t have anything to use as a model.  I really just had to believe in the vision.  Once I was able to articulate the vision with clarity, the plan began to unfold. 

What steps did you take to get where you are today?
In 2006 I began a private coaching practice.  I worked with countless people who were ready to do something different with their lives, they were just unsure what that something was.  I developed what clients still say is an ultra-simple approach to helping people get clear about what they want and then have fun getting it.  Although they were experiencing great progress, the women all seemed to be calling for a gathering place where like-minds could share the process of reinventing their lives.  Inspired by this idea, I used my own simple coaching method to respond.  Specifically; I got very clear about the vision for a gathering place for women in transition; I established a few goals that would move me toward the vision and would be fun to pursue, I told everyone I knew about my idea and what I needed to move it forward.  The resources appeared easily and quickly, and as they did, I took the necessary steps.  Before I knew it, I had leased a wonderful building where I could invite women to co-create a fresh approach to serving the epidemic number of women who claim to be living lives they no longer recognize as their own.  That space is Elizabeth’s House, a gathering place for women who want to renew, rethink, and reinvent their lives.

What was the defining moment when you knew if you didn’t change you would never reach your goal?
A defining moment for me was experiencing what I call my “truck incident.”  In 2004 I was directing programs for a non-profit that serves low-income women.  The organization was going through its own transition and I had been getting “vibes” that it might be time to make a change of my own.  I was being recruited by other organizations which I quickly dismissed.  What I now know for sure is that when you have that feeling there is something else you should be doing, pay attention.  I didn’t, and continued to ignore the clues that change was imminent.  As I was driving to a speaking engagement at BGSU I slowed for construction traffic.  Unfortunately the tractor-trailer behind me didn’t notice and proceeded to rear-end me.  After a helicopter ride and short stay in NICU, I was released from the hospital to recover from my injuries.  Reluctantly I resigned a job I was passionate about to allow my body and spirit the time needed to heal.  And that was just the beginning of the changes my life would make, inviting me to dream bigger.

Did you always know you would get here?
Right now “here” seems like a mid-point. So yes is the short answer, but I’m not where I know I’m going.  Once I decided to live my life as an adventure, the possibilities for growth seem endless.

What kind of distractions did you have to deal with or overcome?
I guess initially there was the physical healing that had to happen before anything else could. And even though I was clear about the dream that I had for Elizabeth's House, articulating it so that others understood it was challenging.  For me, family responsibilities can also be a huge distraction.  When I am in the midst of creating something new I get really immersed in the process.  So when the family still expects things like meals at normal times, or my participation in a variety of activities, the challenge becomes balancing my needs with those of people I love.

How much of an impact did others play in your decision making during your building process?
Other people were everything to bringing me to where I am. They helped inspire and develop the vision. I wasn’t going to do it alone. I listened to women express what they were needing. Once the vision was in place I invited those other people to co-create. I would not be here without the input and support of other people.  

Were there times when you wanted to give up?
There are times, yes. And when that happens I know it’s time for a break.  Once I give myself time for my own renewal, whether it’s a retreat away from “normal” life or a mini-sabbatical from home I can return with the fresh perspective I need to continue.

What made you keep pushing towards your goal?
I have a greater commitment to creating the dream than I do staying in a current reality that doesn’t serve me.  It’s a decision I make and then I don’t look back.  If I’m following my passion I’m having fun and that makes all the difference.

What advice can you give other women who are striving for their own goals?
Let go of the goals initially and get focused on the dream. Then make sure your goals are aligned with that vision.  

How do you feel about where you are today?
Restless. That’s the good news. Because that means there’s more, and I’m ready.  And even though that feels a little scary, I’m excited and hopeful about the endless possibilities.


For more information on Beth Collins and Elizabeth's House please visit http://elizabethshousetoledo.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment