Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Pretty and Prosperous Profile: Sharonda Glover

What do you do?
I am the director of development for a small nonprofit GlobeMed. What I do is I’m in charge of our fundraising and marketing activity. I make sure we reach our financial goals and I manage the messaging behind our marketing.

What steps did you take to get where you are today?
Praying first. I decided to get my master’s degree in integrated marketing communications. When I moved to Chicago I wanted to be Oprah. I wanted to revolutionize advertising, but I enjoyed my experience in public relations more. I worked at several different public relations agencies and although it was great work, but I knew there was more that I should be doing. I felt I needed to do something with more purpose. Now, I have to be able to manage 50 million projects at the same time without panicking.

What was the defining moment when you knew if you didn’t change you would never reach your goal?
Oh my gosh, I was getting really bad headaches and I was having nightmares because I was having anxiety about going to work. I knew that I needed to find something else. I didn’t care about working the long hours, I wanted something more rewarding. I had to find something else where the long hours wouldn’t make me feel like I was wasting my time.

Did you always know you would get here?
Yes, I did know I would get here. The journey I didn’t know. I was talking with a friend and we were reminiscing about how 10 years ago we were in high school and I had no idea the journey that it would take to get to where I am today. I feel empowered every day.

Did you have a plan?
I did, I thought the plan I had was an effective one. I had a great plan, but it wasn’t God’s plan for me. I thought what I was doing I was called to do, but what I was doing allowed me to get the skills necessary to do what I am doing now. I never knew that I would be in the non-profit sector.

What kind of distractions did you have to deal with or overcome?
Men of course. The biggest distraction for me was men. Being in the city was great because I’m from Philadelphia. My other distraction was really my own fear and my own limitations of thinking, being afraid to try new things. When I was working at my old job there was a situation where my boss at the time didn’t know what she was doing and I knew that I could finish the project from start to finish, but I didn’t say anything because I felt it wasn’t my place. The president where I was working was frustrated with me and told me to never take a step back just because someone has a different title than you. Take initiative and do the work and shine. So I did from that point forward.

How much of an impact did others play in your decision making during your building process?
At first my parents had a huge impact because I wanted their support. But when I decided to make a career change to non-profit they were concerned because there was going to be a pay cut. My boyfriend was a big supporter telling me to do what makes me happy. I really had to keep people out of my head because everyone has an opinion. Life is too short and I want to be happy.

Were there times when you wanted to give up?
Oh my gosh yes! I wanted to move back to Delaware. I thought I’m really not cut out for this while I was in grad school. You know how you’re baking a cake and you keep checking it to see if it’s done, but you have to leave it in the oven so that it bakes all the way through? Well there was something that kept telling me you’re not done baking yet.

What made you keep pushing towards your goal?
A lot of prayer definitely. I really had to think about my future. What am I going to tell my kids one day, that I left school because I couldn’t take the pressure? What legacy am I going to leave? That really pushed me to work harder. I want to make everyone proud. I let them and their support take me to the next level.

What advice can you give other women who are striving for their own goals?
When it comes to goals, be selfish about it. We as women tend to think about everyone else, but to be an effective mother and wife we have to be happy. Take time to really enjoy life. Everybody is in such a rush to do this and do that. Doing what makes me happy has really changed my life. It’s really a mentality thing. Also, do your research and always pursue that passion that makes you feel alive and blessed to wake up every day. Always strive to do your best.

How do you feel about where you are today?
Where I am today, I am happy but I’m not ultimately where I want to be. I want to open a nonprofit organization for teen mothers because my mom was a teen mother. How do we motivate these young women to help their children? To help them produce children that are productive and ending the generational curse of teen mothers producing more teen mothers that many African American and Latino communities have. I really think my experience with all of my jobs is a launching pad for me for my next job or when I open the nonprofit in the next five years.

For more information on Sharonda Glover and GlobeMed:
302-545-9450

No comments:

Post a Comment