Sunday, January 9, 2011

Pretty and Prosperous Profile: Aja Wright

What steps did you take to get to where you are today?
There were certain things I did to make it a successful business. I gave away a lot of work in the beginning for free and then at a very low charge to get enough for my portfolio to earn the trust of others. Once I felt I had enough for my portfolio then I started going back to those clients that I had previously worked for and started asking them for referrals, which they happily gave me. From there I started to promote myself and my services to continue to build business relationships. And now I am here today with a thriving photography business.

What was the defining moment when you knew you if you didn’t change you would never reach your goals?
We were living the dream and after 3 years of living the life of going on 2 to 3 vacations a year, going to the mall and buying whatever I wanted, I said I can’t do this anymore. I told Eric that I wanted to quit my job. I attended church one Sunday and a woman came to talk about following your dreams. She said to pray into your dreams. I continued to speak with Eric about quitting my job, but he couldn’t understand what I was going through because we still had bills to pay. At one point I came close to having a nervous breakdown because of what I was dealing with my mom and being in a job where I was unhappy. One day I was called into the office at my job for a review of my performance which was always stellar, but this time they said I wasn’t working up to my potential. I told them that day was my last day. I walked to my desk got my pictures and other belongings and went to my car and I never looked back. I gave up that career to follow my dreams.

Did you always know you would accomplish your goals?
No, I didn’t think I would. I never thought I would get where I am today, but I always had a goal.  I’m glad that I am accomplishing them. My past made me what I am today. People try to ruin you. Don’t listen to other people.

Did you have a plan to reach your goals?
No, I did not always have a plan. My love for taking pictures started in the 7th grade, but I wasn’t sure if I wanted to be a photographer but I knew I wanted to take pictures.

What kind of distractions did you have to overcome?
The biggest distraction was definitely my mother’s cancer. At the same time it was others telling me that I couldn’t or shouldn’t do what I felt in my heart was the only thing I could do and that was to leave my position in the corporate world. In my mind I wanted to quit my job to take care of mom when her cancer went into remission. In 2008 my mom was getting sicker, my brother went to jail and we were depleting our savings. In 2009 my mom was dying. I continued to do photography through all of this. I ended up getting a better job as consultant so both me and my husband were making a lot of money together, but I was completely unhappy. The job was consuming my entire life. I was bringing work home; the baby sitter was making dinner and my Mom was washing our clothes. I was trying to be there for my husband and for my kids. We normally take a trip every year and I said I didn’t want to go because my mom was sick, but she told me to go and live my life. I went on the trip that lasted 2 weeks and when I got back the doctors said my mom was going to hospice. Because of where I worked I knew why people were sent to hospice. The next 3 weeks were hell for me. I truly stepped out on faith and trusted God.
                                                      
How much of an impact did others play in your decision making on following your dreams?
I had to make the decision to leave my job, but it was hard because of the kids and we were used to a certain lifestyle. When people tell me that I can’t it makes me work harder to prove them wrong which is the case for a lot of people.

Were there times when you wanted to give up on your dream?
I won’t say I wanted to give up. There were times where I felt I may have made the wrong decision. Not leaving my job, but you don’t always see the light at the end of the tunnel. There are hard times, thinking about my marriage, my children. Makes me think I need to think harder for all of my decisions. There are times I wish I would go faster. There is not one day where I feel I should have never left. I thought the decision through. You are going to have days where you think back like, wow remember all the money we used to have.

What made you keep pushing towards your goal?
The biggest thing for me is that I had a fear of not reaching it. When I followed the course of what other people wanted me to do I wasn’t happy. When you’re making over fifty thousand dollars a year, the company you work for is going to work you. I was working eight to ten hours a day. People think that if you’re making money then you’re happy, but that’s not the case. I still don’t feel like I’ve accomplished it completely. I’m still working towards it. I have to continue to push through to reach all of my goals.

What advice can you give other women who are striving for their own goals?
If you know what you want and you have a goal insight, pray on it first. Your biggest counselor is God. You have to be willing to listen. Go to your spouse if you have one and make sure you include them. Be willing to take that leap. You have to be prepared for success and the let downs. There are going to be times when you are not going to be satisfied. Realize where your happiness lies. Only you know what makes you happy. Doing what you want to do is the only root to your happiness. I’m still getting that revelation.

How do you feel about where you are now?
My lifestyle now (having less money) does not take away from my happiness. We still travel, we’re happy and I’m living exactly how I want to. Leaving my job and following my passion is paying off for me and my family and I love it! I knew that money wasn’t everything but coming to the realization that it isn’t is another thing. God provides everything for my family. The pay cut does not take away from the happiness. I love what I do and I’m happy! I’m successful in life, I’m a successful woman, wife, mother and friend. Since I left my job I’m able to be at home with my kids, my son’s grades are sky rocketing and I cannot explain how happy I am even though we didn’t have the same amount of money as we did before. I valued being at home and I would have never been able to spend that time with my mom if I would have been working in the corporate world. Being in the corporate world vs. leaving and following my dreams worked out in the end. I was able to be there for my mother where as I would not have I was able to be the mother, daughter, wife, aunt, and sister that I needed to be in order to be fulfilled in my heart.


Aja Wright

I am first a child of God, a proud wife and mother of two and I am living my dream. I am currently a family photographer doing what I love best, taking your memories and making them priceless portraits. I take great pride in making sure I capture those memorable hidden and unplanned moments in families’ lives. I love being a wife to my wonderful husband, and the ability to be here as a mother raising my children. That was the most important decision that I have ever made, leaving my career and coming home to be a mother to my children. I took a Leap of Faith 3 years ago and I have not looked back. In this journey I hope to be an inspiration to those women who are at a standstill in life, personal, spiritual and professional. God orders my steps and I hope and pray that you all allow him to order yours.

For more information about Aja Wright and A Love for Memories, LLC please visit http://mrs1wright.webs.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment