Sunday, January 16, 2011

Pretty and Prosperous Profile: Rose Toth Gallardo


What do you do?
I own Rose Custom Interiors; I specialize in residential, small commercial and senior living interior design. I also am a realtor to best serve my clients with all of their home needs, from staging to remodeling, to building, to selling or buying. I can help with as little or as much as the client or project needs. I am inspired by people and their surroundings and look forward to projects small and large.

What steps did you take to get where you are today?
I originally went to college for recreation management. I focused on travel and tourism and marketing which included branding. I was later recruited by The Limited and worked in fashion store management. Realizing my love of sales and wanting to control my schedule, I took a position in telecommunications doing outside sales. After a few years of that I had my aha moment. I loved fashion and sales but I didn’t love what I was selling and that’s when I decided to go back to school for interior design. I believe each of those steps were key components to starting Rose Custom Interiors.

What was the defining moment when you knew if you didn’t change you would never reach your goal?
I was really struggling with anxiety and more and more I didn’t want to work in telecommunications.  I knew I had to make a big change; I didn’t want to continue in this job for another week, so I started looking into interior design programs.

Did you always know you would get here?
I knew that when choosing what I wanted to do I would choose wisely and go in a specific direction. I think with learning new information the goals have changed along the way. For example, I knew I wanted to do residential interior design. Since I started my business, a portion of it is with working with seniors. Now people are downsizing and still want well designed homes with less maintenance. I was able to change the dream and stay true to the passion.

Did you have a plan?
I did. I think the plan changes constantly, but I did sit down and make a plan. I decided to go back to school and get as much experience as I could and I also was able to use the experience I gained when I was in sales. When I started to gain clientele I sat down and made a business plan for Rose Custom Interiors. I’m very proud of my business and what I’ve accomplished. It’s nice once you have the career in place where you feel comfortable and confident. At this stage I do want to have a family and I know I have the balance within to do so.
                                                                                                   
What kind of distractions did you have to deal with or overcome?
Leaving corporate America was a big step.  Starting your own business is not a get rich quick scheme. Really having the ambition and courage to see it through is really important. There were many times where I wished I could punch a clock and get a paycheck. I took second jobs. I worked part time at flooring, paint, and furniture stores. Along the way learning as much as I could about the field, I can’t stress enough how important these experiences are and have contributed to being a well rounded designer.

How much of an impact did others play in your decision making during your building process?
The majority of people thought I was crazy for leaving my job and starting over. Every single one of those people are proud of me to this day.

Were there times when you wanted to give up?
Yes. When people don’t pay timely and you’re doing the dance at the PO Box waiting for money it makes it very difficult. I don’t always get paid on time. A reminder to everyone out there, pay your small business owners! J

What made you keep pushing towards your goal?
I love what I do. I am inspired by people, their surroundings, and personalities. The mission of my business is to design around people and not trends. I will always be on top of the latest products and techniques, but it always comes back to what will be best for my clients.

What advice can you give other women who are striving for their own goals?
Stay true to yourself. Have a real understanding of who you are. All relationships personal and business will be better because of it. Take small baby steps and grow it when you’re comfortable. Too often people want big, faster than they are ready. No one knows themselves better than you, trust your gut.

How do you feel about where you are today?
I’m really happy. I recently got married, that was a huge step. Not many other people have come before my business. I feel like I am at the point where I am achieving the balance that I want. Through good relationships and a passion filled career.

For more information on Rose Toth Gallardo and Rose Custom Interiors please visit http://www.rosecustominteriors.com/

Rose Toth Gallardo

On February 19, 2004 my dream of having an interior design business became a reality with Rose Custom Interiors. I have 20 years of experience in fashion, marketing and sales, which has led me to find my true passion in interior design. RCI is now 7 years old and I still enjoy spending each day designing for my unique clients and their personalities.

No comments:

Post a Comment