Monday, January 31, 2011

Pretty and Prosperous Profile: Renee Rivers

What steps did you take to get where you are today?
Very simple: setting goals and tackling them one day at a time. One of my major accomplishments was completing college and obtaining my bachelors degree. As a single parent working two jobs, it was tough, but I did it. Now I’m working on continuing my education by pursuing a masters’ degree. Last year I took a leap of faith and started my own business. Living a healthy lifestyle is something that I’ve always practiced, so becoming a fitness consultant just made sense. I have a desire to help others become healthy and fit, so this business is aligned with not only my professional goals, but personal goals as well. Becoming an Independent Beachbody Coach has allowed me to realize my true potential in life. Living out my passion was something I would only dream about---now it’s my reality. It has opened up so many doors for me. Right now, I have a lot on my plate, but I love it and wouldn’t change it for anything! With faith in God, persistence, dedication, and determination, it can only get better from here.

Did you always know you would get here?
No, after I graduated from high school I went away to college for civil engineering, which doesn’t even come close to what I’m doing now. During that time, I felt as though becoming an engineer was my dad’s dream and not mine. After changing my major several times, I decided that the communication program would be best. Once I graduated, I continued to work multiple jobs, neither of which were in my field of study. In 2006, I did a lot of soul searching, praying (and crying). I continuously asked myself “What is my purpose? What do I want to do with my life?” At that time, I was miserable and working long hours in an automotive factory with a bachelors’ degree. Something was seriously wrong with that picture and I knew that it was time for a major change. From there, I started setting goals, one of which was to enroll in grad school. That was my first step in living out MY vision…MY dream and not someone else’s.

Did you have a plan?
I didn’t have a concrete plan, up until I realized that I wanted to go to grad school for health promotion and education; and now that I have my own business, planning is a must! I am continuously writing down in a notebook my short-term and long-term goals. Each day, I complete small tasks, which are “bread crumbs” leading up to my bigger goals. I’m starting to realize I need to have a plan to achieve what I want in life in order to be successful. Without a plan, I feel lost.

What kind of distractions did you have to deal with or overcome?
People are so quick to blame others for their failures, but I believe that we are our own worst enemies. The reason why I was “stuck” and not succeeding in life was due to my inability to be proactive and productive. My negative thoughts became my distractions, which resulted in negative outcomes. I had to realize that if I was going to be successful, I had to take risks, do more, be more, lead by example, and live life to its fullest. I have learned to overcome my distractions and now, I couldn’t be happier.

How much of an impact did others play in your decision making?
I tend to value the opinions of those who are close to me, such as my family and friends. Before starting my own business, there were a few individuals who did not believe that it was in my best interest to do so. In the end, I am going to do what is best for me and my family. I would like to have the support of others and I absolutely love constructive criticism. I take it into account whether I deem it to be negative or positive. It motivates me to push harder and work harder. The number one deciding factor in starting my own business was my son. I want to provide a better life for him and I believe that I can do that by setting an example for him by achieving my goals.

Were there times when you wanted to give up?
Yes, there have been plenty of times where I didn’t know if I was cut out for this (owning a business). Once I started writing down my goals, networking, and establishing relationships with other successful people, it has not crossed my mind one bit. I also had to learn not to compare my success to others, but instead concentrate on my actions and gain a better understanding on how to build a better business for myself. I’ve never been known to be a quitter; once I start something I’m going to finish it despite any obstacles that may occur along the way. There are people in my community that need my help. That in itself is enough motivation for me to keep going and not give up!

What made you keep pushing towards your goal?
Again, my son is my number one motivator. As his mother, he looks up to me and I do not want him to see me fail or give up on my dreams. I want to show him how success is not about accumulating millions of dollars, but by sharing our God given talents, skills learned, and knowledge acquired. For me, my success is measured by the number of people who are successful in achieving their goals, whether it is to become physically or financially fit. With the increase of obesity rates in the U.S., changes need to be made now in our society; especially in the urban community. I believe that I am a small solution to a much bigger problem. Knowing that I can make a difference in the lives of others allows me to keep pushing towards my goals each and every day.

What advice can you give other women who are striving for their own goals?
Prayer changes everything! My conversations with God have given me so much strength and faith. I’ve developed a great relationship with Him and can attest that He answers prayers, which is never on our time, but His. I’ve realized that God has His own plan for us and with patience and understanding; He will eventually guide us towards that path.


Renee Rivers
As a health enthusiast, Renee Rivers decided to start her own business as an Independent Beachbody Coach by helping others become healthy and wealthy.  She is well on her way with pursuits of obtaining a personal training certificate and a masters’ degree in health education. Understanding the importance of living a healthy lifestyle, Renee’s goal is to assist others in achieving the same lifestyle for themselves.
For more information on Renee Rivers and her services, please contact her via the following: Website: www.jabkickpunch.com
Follow Her: www.twitter.com/jabkickpunch

No comments:

Post a Comment